Monday, December 19, 2011

DESIGN BOOK REVIEW: THE PERFECTLY IMPERFECT HOME


I just finished reading Deborah Needleman's design book, THE PERFECTLY IMPERFECT HOME. I absorbed every word in this book and considered myself a more educated designer after reading this book - a feeling I hadn't felt after reading other design books.  (The book is $20 from Amazon - buy it here)

Here's why I loved this book:

1. She has practical rules and simple ideas for decorating your home that are easy to remember and incorporate.

2. You don't feel like you need a million dollars to decorate your home and create a nice space.

3. She is a GREAT writer, which makes it easy and enjoyable to read. And the illustrations are a work of art in and of themselves.

4. She has a classy and classic outlook on decorating, and loves a home with a lot of character and humor (which are the best types of homes in my opinion).

5. She has a respect for antiques, but also recommends using postcards and personal snapshots as art.

6. She was the editor for Domino Magazine, still a favorite home decor magazine amongst the design community even though it's been out of print for a couple of years, which in my opinion means she is definitely someone worth listening to.

7. And finally, I found my favorite decorating quote of all time that sums up interior decorating in one sentence..."Simply collecting is not enough; objects are like words that need to be made into meaningful sentences." Genius!!

Here are some pics from her book (this is copyrighted material so go buy the book)

Steven Gambrel's living room

an example of how she separates her chapters - she is so creative!

practical advice ranging from how to pick the right lampshades (as seen here) to how to make your home "cozy"

example of how lighting should be placed

Get yourself a nice little Christmas present and pick this book up today!

1 comment:

  1. OK, I'm hooked...and purchased the book! :) I read the first few pages on Amazon and can't wait for it to get here. I have a whole house to redo and need lots of inspiration. Just found your blog and you have given me some great ideas already! Thanks! Looking forward to spending more time on you blog. Also, thanks for recommending the book.... Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...