Wednesday, August 8, 2012

BEFORE + AFTERS: C STREET PROJECT II

This house is my favorite of the two because it has these wood grid windows that are beautiful and would be SO expensive to recreate (one of the pluses of owning a home built in 1901). It also has a European feel to it. It's just a charming home.

I hope I did this house justice :)

                                          457 C STREET                                        

Do you see those great windows? And how sad that they had dry walled over the fireplace - so bizarre.
I decided to make this a more traditional home than the other home. We chose oak floors with a dark stain and did wainscot on the walls. The sconces are Robert Abbey and the fireplace surround is a crema marfil marble remnant.

Again, we removed the radiant heat (although I thought these heaters were super cool and underneath the silver paint they were a beautiful brass color).

This was the dining room just off the main room. We tore out the wall and made the dining room the new kitchen. I love those doors leading to the deck!
The beautiful windows in the dining area.

The old kitchen that became the new dining room.
The new kitchen! The cabinets are painted BM Dove White and the hardware is a brushed brass. The island light is the Axis Double Light from Robert Abbey (ignore the plastic still on it). The countertops are quartz countertops made by Cambria, (the color is Torquay) that I mentioned in this post. I was happy with the way they turned out, but they definitely aren't the same as marble.

I love the little square cabinets above the window - perfect for storing the pretty plates and bowls.


I did the same tile from Emser in both houses for the laundry/1/2 bath room.

Same carpet on these stairs as the other home. I like that this staircase has the wainscot on the side.
The upstairs 3/4 bath has the same configuration as the other home. Nothing too exciting to work with.
I did the same 3x6 Desert Gray subway tile from Dal Tile but the flooring is different - it's the octagon and dot in Desert Gray from Dal.

This close-up is a better representation of the true color of the tiles.
The master bedroom was similar to the other home in that it was long and narrow so we divided it up and made one half of the room the master bath.
I LOVE this bathroom. The vanity turned out so great. We had a narrow space between the vanity and the shower wall so I didn't want to do lower cabinets and we did a shelf for storage instead. All of the drawers are functional, but we also added a tall storage cabinet on the side for extra storage.

The sconces are from Circa Lighting and the floor tile is this limestone from Dal Tile that I am obsessed with. It is by far my favorite bathroom floor tile. Another client put it in her home and it looks great there too.
The storage cabinet we added. These cabinets were also painted BM Dove White and have the Cambria Torquay countertops that are in the kitchen.

The master shower. I had spent most of my tile budget for this bathroom on the limestone floor tile so I needed to do white subway in the shower. My original plan was to do chair rail squares to mimic wainscotting but to save money we just decided to break up the subway tile with bands of tile going vertical instead of horizontal. Plan A would have looked better, but I'm liking Plan B.


For some unknown reason I didn't take as many pictures of this house for the before or after - sorry no pics of the bedrooms (although unfurnished bedrooms aren't ever very exciting). 

Overall I am happy with the way both of these homes turned out, but I'm also excited to take what I learned on this project and do it even better on the next one. I think one thing is for sure - I have learned how to stretch a dollar and get a lot of style out of a small budget.

On to the next one...!


33 comments:

  1. Fabulous work!!! I am bookmarking this post for my house. Very tasteful . Thanks for sharing:)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am absolutely obsessed with the brass hardware in the kitchen. Stunning! I love that family room too, it's stunning. I'd be curious, and I'm sure you can't share here, but how much dollar did you have to stretch?:) Wondering what a home project like this costs??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice compliment, Chelsea!

      I can't remember exactly what the total budget was - but I can tell you that my total lighting budget for both houses was $3500 (which averaged out to be $100 a light) and my average tile cost needed to be $5 or less (just for the material). The cabinets were around $15K for each house and the wood floor was $8 a sq.ft. I believe. It was TIGHT - which makes it fun and challenging.

      Delete
  3. I am a designer in Salt Lake as well and I love your work! Amazing wood work and cabinetry. Where did you find the hardware in that kitchen?

    ReplyDelete
  4. which color of gray paint did you use, it is perfect!!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHERE IS THE BATHROOM VANITY FROM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the hardware in the kitchen...do you mind sharing where you found it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous renovation! I really like the bathroom floor tile. Do you mind sharing the style of Dal Tile that it is? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful master bath! What is the source for the vanity? Sounds like you had a tight budget - is it custom? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately yes, it was custom. We were on a tight budget, but you spend on some things and save on others, right? I recommend spending money on the vanity and going less expensive on the tile and fixtures. Good luck!

      Delete
  9. Love this! Which Limestone Daltile is this? Color?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know this is an older post, but I would love to know details on the tile floor??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post, you have pointed out some fantastic points , I likewise think this s a very wonderful website.
    Shower Faucets

    ReplyDelete
  12. Usually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job Man,Keep it up.
    New Zealand education Consultants in Delhi
    List of Top 5 Courses in Canada after 12th - Study in Canada

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...