Monday, March 5, 2012

MARBLE KITCHEN COUNTERTOPS

Marble kitchen countertops are beautiful! I love them. Published kitchens usually have marble countertops and backsplashes, but we don't live in magazines, we live in homes where we have children, grandchildren, messy spouses/partners/relationships. We spill red liquids and put acidic items on the counter, such as lemons, oranges, any fruit! So...is it really the best idea to have porous marble countertops in the kitchen where they can etch and stain? Or is the look of them worth being a little more careful?

I debated this very thing myself. I will show you what I ended up with, but let's look at the beautiful marble countertops that inspire us to put marble in our kitchens...

that Carrera marble slab is gorgeous!


beautiful calacutta marble




Beautiful images, right?! I could post a million more too. Marble is just gorgeous in the kitchen. But here's what happens when your marble etches, or stains...check out this whole post about the softness of marble and how to take care of it. (etching is what happens when acidic things get on marble)



This picture shows how with different sealants marble still etches and stains, but a good sealant can definitely help protect the marble. 

Truth be told, I don't mind the etching all that much. What bothers me more is the staining and I was afraid with little kids I would have a problem with it. So as much as I LOVE marble, I decided to go with the Super White Quartzite or Granite. Also a great option is the Bianco Romano granite, which is more affordable than the Super White.

Here's a pic of my Super White which so far has been worth every penny.

In my investment properties I'm working on right now we were going to go with the Carrera marble but I know how high maintenance of a surface it can be, so we opted for a Cambria Quartz called Torquay. It's one of their new colors and I really like it. It's even better in person. Here's a pic of it installed.



So what do you think? Do you have marble kitchen countertops? Do you like them? In my future investment properties should I install them or do you like the peace of mind of a more durable surface?

14 comments:

  1. Great post!! I was in the same predicament. We went with Bianco River by Silestone. We love it. It is easy(with two little ones) and looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for writing this great post. We are about to re-do our kitchen and I wanted marble counter tops, but we have two little ones. I had no idea how high maintenance marble counter tops were! Also, my husband would like me to ask you what kind of lighting you used under your cabinets?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post and for sharing the pictures of your beautiful kitchen. I absolutely love the look of marble countertops, but with four young children and a very messy husband, etching and staining is not just a possibility, it's a sure thing. I would have to be standing guard over my countertops 24/7 to avoid staining. I am planning to remodel my kitchen next year and didn't know what to use in place of marble so that I could achieve the same look until I found your blog with pictures of your kitchen.

    Susan from Pennsylvania

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for this post! Your home is beautiful. I also love the marble look but am considering other options for my young family.

    Also, I am a new follower to your blog. I would be honored if you would return the favor and become a follower on mine. Thanks ~Annie

    http://houseonrene.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I like your countertops the best! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cooking and I do not like to pay attention about where I will put my hot pan, cut my onions, and I need something I will not spend 30 min to clean. My solution came from a selection of Marble Countertops Toronto. Cook, clean, disinfect and go!
    Marble Countertops Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ive always adored marble and I thought I wanted it, too, but I think I'd go with Quartzite now. Still not ready for my remodel, so by the time I am, I wonder if another new loo-alike will be available. Thanks for the info and the stain examples...great tips.
    xo Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love the round marble table

    ReplyDelete
  9. The content of your blog is just what I needed; I like your blog. I was very pleased to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this great read.
    countertops wy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.This is a great overview of marble.marble countertop rochester

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for such a great information about marbles.
    Marbles look great in kitchen or as flooring. The main problem about it, is the maintenance.
    I would prefer Granite countertops Tiles, and slabs.
    They are indestructible and stain proof.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful kitchen! Would you mind letting us know how your Super White Quartzite countertops been holding up?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...