Wednesday, April 17, 2013

DO YOU USE HOUZZ?

Many of you are familiar with the website, Houzz.com, but if you're not, it's the best photo library of all things related to your home, on the web. Interiors, exteriors, landscapes, and even products for your home. I LOVE this website and used to use it often, but then switched to Pinterest for my inspiration and forgot how amazing Houzz is.
(even though it might sound like it, this post is NOT sponsored)


I recently set up my professional profile on Houzz and am thinking about advertising with Houzz, but before I do I am curious to hear from you whether you use this website/app and what you think about it.

I will tell you why I am going to be using Houzz a lot more from now on:

The search engine on Houzz is better than Pinterest for finding what you want - no repeats of photos, and photos of exactly what you want.



versus Pinterest (not sure how the first photo even relates to my search for a pool house?!)


I love the "LOCAL PROS" feature - great for finding contractors, architects, landscape architects, and yes, even designers! (and I like how there are reviews of the contractors as well)


I like how the photos have price tag icons that tell you where they purchased the items in the room.

 
I love how easy it is to find products for your home on this website and how it is separate from the other photos (unlike Pinterest). I found this fantastic bookshelf from Room + Board that I never noticed before - LOVE!


And I of course love the ideabooks (like Pinterest folders) that I can create. I also like looking at other ideabooks other designers create.


 Ideabooks with a theme created by another designer:

 
So now that I've given you a little tour of Houzz, what do you think? What is your favorite thing about Houzz? Do you use it? How often? I would LOVE to hear what you think!!
 

16 comments:

  1. I use houzz all the time! It's such a great source of inspiration any time I'm starting a new room makeover. I haven't done much with ideabooks, but I could (and do!) look through the room photos for hours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I never get on Houzz. I guess I need to huh? In the past, when I've been on, it felt overwhelming to me. Maybe I'm just not navigating it the right way. You've definitely pointed out features that I would love and could benefit from, so I'm going to give it a second look!

    Congrats also on that amazing hotel project!! That is a dream! I think that style seems so so fun to work with. Can't wait to see what you come up with;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. i didn't even know houzz was used like this. i'm definitely going to check it out.
    i don't use pinterest either. but i have looked at your pinterest page you sent me about a zillion times already! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a houzz fan too, especially when looking for specific ideas such as trim styles or floor stains. Just a great site!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I go on there occasionally, but not as much as I probably should. Thanks for the additional info about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use houzz constantly...Whenever I have clients that aren't sure how to really articulate their style to me, I set them up with an account so they can share their ideabooks with me. I've been thinking about advertising too....You'll have to tell us if it's brought more business if you decide to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny, that you are posting about this. I actually just signed up with them. Very Addicting just like pinterest. :) I hope your advertising pays off too!

    I am still loading pictures on it.
    Megan from Daly Designs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Houzz. Used it to help get ideas for my bathroom renovation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use Houzz and don't use Pinterest for the very reasons you listed. Houzz is amazing! I am completely hooked and it has been oh-so-helpful in gathering ideas for our new house (we are breaking ground this week!). It has been indispensable to me. I'm glad you are setting up your profile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been on Houzz for 4 years as a professional. And for the most part I found it annoying more than anything. Annoying that Houzz gets to use all the pictures I upload for free for their readers to put into idea books (some of my pictures are in 7,000 idea books) and I hadn't received one referal. All I get is questions about where did you get that or that? How much did it cost? etc. BUT! I have to admit I really don't think I promoted myself nor interacted like they suggest. It is very time consuming to do, along with blogging, design projects and life in general. BUT! I am now trying to utilize their site more since they have really improved it over the years. I actually got my first local design referral a couple of weeks ago, 1st in four years, not a great record. I did put my phone number in my profile recently, and all it brought me was a sales call, so I deleted it. Again annoying. I think you are very good at promoting your company, and I think you will do awesome on their site, good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been a paid advertiser on Houzz for 5 months now.. I am being charged 500 USD per month for ads showing in three of their designated area blocks. Our photos are quite attractive, many reviews and marketing effort is fine, but the results are deeply disappointing.. Essentially, every month, our Houzz professional ad package only generates 60 promoted click throughs to the home website - so it ends up that we are paying roughly 9 USD per click -- which is way too much and terrible ROI .

    Our experience with ad placements on blogs has been much more reqarding and I quite regret the 1 year contract I signed with Houzz.. Definitely will not renew and I feel they have misrepresented the reach of their website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you there - looking for ways to escape my (very expensive) contract - fell for their marketing statistics and feel I made a big mistake.

      Delete
    2. I am with you there - looking for ways to escape my (very expensive) contract - fell for their marketing statistics and feel I made a big mistake.

      Delete
  12. Thank you so much for your reply to this post. What a very helpful review of Houzz. I decided to hold off on advertising with them, and now I am glad I did after hearing about your experience. I have received a few phone calls from Houzz by just having my portfolio, and I'm feeling like that is good enough.

    Houzz is a great tool for designers - both to promote business and to work with clients by saving photos they love, etc. Maybe not the best advertising tool.

    Best to you, and thank you again for taking the time to comment and help me make a decision!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also thank you for your post. I have also been in communication with the sales team at Houzz. My speculations where correct. Why would they ask that you sign a year contract? Because they are a scam. Direct door mailers by the USPS EDDEM mailers are the way to go in order to reach clients. Once you direct them to your website they could follow a link to review and comment on your company through Houzz or other social networks if they wish.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...